15 Fun Facts On Aviation
With aircrafts proving to be one of mankind’s greatest achievements, there is a lot to be taught about the world of aviation. From aircraft existence that has been found in ancient history to modern history’s take on the Wright brothers and their infamous invention, the list of facts is an extensive one. Fortunately, you’ve come to the right place as we have a fun list of facts that not a lot of people know, but that many will be impressed by.
Did you know?
1. In the 1920s, a plane ticket cost just $5!
2. The world’s largest airline is KLM (Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij, meaning Royal Dutch Airlines). Established in 1919, it was the first flight between Amsterdam and London that took place on 17th May 1920.
3. The Wright brothers’ aircraft, the Wright Flyer, flew about 120 feet. Today, the newest Boeing 787 can fly 10,000 miles on a single tank of gas.
4. Only 5% of the world’s population has travelled by plane.
5. One windshield or window frame of the cockpit of a Boeing 747-400’s costs as much as a BMW car.
6. The Airbus A380 has about 4 million parts.
7. The Russian Antonov AN-225 cargo jet is the largest plane in the world.
8. The world’s smallest jet is the BD-5 Micro with a wingspan of just 14–21 feet and a weight of only 358 pounds.
9. Sydney to Dallas on Qantas A380 is the world’s longest flight by distance.
10. The changing air pressure in a plane numbs about 1/3 of a person’s taste buds.
11. Pilots and co-pilots are required to eat different meals in case of food poisoning.
12. One of the most deadly airplane accidents happened on the ground. In 1977, two fully loaded planes collided head-on in the middle of the runway in what is now known as the Tenerife Accident, killing over 500 people.
13. The world’s busiest airport is the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, with over 96 million passengers a year.
14. Emirates is the world’s largest operator of Airbus A380 and Boeing 777 aircraft.
15. Funnily enough, 75% of all inflight arguments are between grown adults and are caused by reclining seats.