HOW TO ENSURE YOUR DIPPING TAPE LASTS LONGER
FOLLOW THIS ADVICE TO EXTEND THE LIFESPAN OF YOUR DIPPING TAPE
With the Petro-Chemical industry being so competitive and involving such high costs, it is essential to ensure that fuel measurement is kept accurate, as expenses due to fuel leakage or theft cannot be allowed to go undetected and cannot be afforded. One way to make sure your measurements are as accurate as possible is to handle your dipping equipment in the correct manner, so as to prevent any damage that could lead to faulty readings.
You can determine whether or not you are handling your dipping tape correctly by reading the points below:
Operators should avoid the following to prevent the tape from denting, kinking, stretching or being damaged in any way:
- Bending the tape at a sharp angle over the tank dip hatch.
- Letting the dip bob hit the bottom of the dip hatch when the tape is being wound or pulled out.
- Using a dip tape to take tank samples with a sample flask or well scoop thermometer.
Operators should promote longevity of dipping tapes by adhering to the following maintenance procedures:
- Wipe tape with a soft clean cloth after use.
- Clean tapes regularly.
- All moving parts of the tape should be oiled frequently.
Operators should ensure the following storage instructions are carried out:
- Lightly oil tape if it is going to be stored for a long period.
- Tape must be stored in a chemical resistant bag.
- Never carry dipping tape with bob attached.
- Remove bob from tape hook when stored.
It is important to use the right dipping tape for your fuel measurements, as this will promote the product lifespan. We advise that you use the Rigana carbon steel tape or the stainless steel tape, as this is best suited to fuel and oil.